Vegetables, Fruit, Farm & Home Gardens and Granges
**Sponsored by Johnny’s Selected Seeds**
Chairpersons: Johanna Vienneau (603) 539-4643
General instructions for fruits and vegetables
- Gardeners from other area towns are welcomed.
- Children are welcomed and will be judged in a junior division for each variety of fruit or vegetable. Junior division (ages 3 - 15) will include a 4th place ribbon award in addition to 1st - 3rd place awards.
- Entrees must be delivered between 3:00 and 8:00 PM. Friday and picked up between 5:00 and
6:30 PM Monday. Vehicles will not be allowed on the grounds before 6:00 PM Monday.
- The right is reserved to withhold a premium when the quality is not worthy of an award, even though it may be the only one on exhibit. Awards by the judges are final.
- Fruits and vegetables must be grown by exhibitor and be CORRECTLY NAMED AS TO VARIETY.
- Number of specimens called for in premium list must be shown.
- Uniformity in size, shape, color and maturity is very important. Large size generally denotes over maturity.
- Specimens shall be clean and DIRTY SPECIMENS WILL BE REJECTED.
- Specimens shall be free of blemishes or damage caused by insects, disease or mechanical means.
- Root crops - cut off tops leaving about 2 inches of leaf stalk. Only the loose outer skins of onions, cabbage, lettuce, etc. should be taken off. DO NOT PEEL THEM TOO CLOSELY.
- Fresh herbs, kale, spinach, celery and other greens prone to wilting may be exhibited in small jars of water. However, container shall be free of all labels.
- Due to space limitations, large exhibits such as live vegetable plants are discouraged.
- No person may compete for more than one prize with the same variety.
- Commercial farmers/gardeners may not exhibit in the individual fruit and vegetable classes. They may exhibit in the New Variety Division and the Commercial Farm Division. We will, however, welcome small exhibits for display only from commercial farms by pre-arrangement with the Chairman.
- Entries to be displayed on paper plates provided by the Fair.
- No Exhibits shall contain any invasive species or parts thereof per discretion of the Chairmen
Premiums for Fruits & Vegetable: 1st: $4.00 2nd: $3.00 3rd: $2.00
FRUIT (Exhibits shall contain number of specimens listed below)
Apples (plate of 5) of any variety
Grapes (1 bunch) of any variety
Berries (one cup) of any variety
Melons (1) of any variety
Nectarines, Peaches, Pears, Quince, Plums (plate of 5) of any variety
Any other fruit
VEGETABLES (Exhibits shall contain number of specimens listed below)
Plate of 6, best in each standard variety: Brussels sprouts, beans, peas
Plate of 4, best in each standard variety: beets, carrots, onions, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, radishes, garlic, gourds
Plate of 3, best in each standard variety: corn, cucumbers, summer squash
One (1), best in each standard variety: eggplant, cabbage, turnip, lettuce (head), pumpkins, winter squash, sunflowers, fennel
Bunch, best in each standard variety: Swiss chard, leaf lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, chives, herbs
Largest Winter Squash or Pumpkin of Acceptable Quality
Junior & Adult Divisions - Premiums: 1st: $25.00 2nd: $15.00 3rd: $10.00
Jundged solely on size and all varieties compete together. Call Chariman prior to entering on Friday to determine available space. PLEASE NOTE all pumpkins and squash over 200 lbs. whould be delivered on Friday morning between 8 am and 12 noon an picked up on Tuesday between 8 am and 12 noon. for safetly purposes the tractor will not be available after these times and your entry may not e accepted. Contact the Fair office for drop off and pick up.
DRIED ENTRY - Junior & Adult Divisions: Premiums: 1st: $5.00 2nd: $3.00 3rd: $2.00
Exhibit of five varieties, fruits, vegetables or herbs Exhibitors may enter each category, but only 1 entry per category. Example: 5 dried herbs, 5 dried fruits, ect. Mixing of categories is not allowed. Entries to be grown, dried and labeled by exhibitor. Each variety in separate plastic bag or container.
CARVE A PUMPKIN
Division 1: Ages 6 - 9 Division 2: Ages 10 - 14 Division 3: Ages 14 and up
Class A: Most Intricate Class B: Scariest Class C: Funniest/Happiest
Premiums: 1st: $5.00 2nd: $3.00 3rd: $2.00
Pumpkins may be of any variety and must be clean. Carving is to be done solely by the entrant. An entrant may compete in all Divisions but may only have one entry per Division. Judge may use a candle or light during judging but no candles or lights will be allowed during display.
CREATE A SCRECROW -
Division 1: Individual (Junior & Adult Division) Division 2: Class/Organization
Premiums: 1st: $25.00 2nd: $20.00 3rd: $15.00
Scarecrows are to be a maximum of 5 feet in height and cover no more than 3 square feet of floor space. Scarecrows will be judged on creativity, workmanship and originality. Old-fashioned, High-fashioned and Scifi are welcome. One scarecrow per person or class (by grade K-12) Class/Organization premium paid to school class/Organization fund. Posts will be provided by the Fair for securing Scarecrows.
Decorate a Vegetable - Children through age 12 one entry per child
Premiums: 1st: $5.00 2nd: $ 3.00 3rd: $2.00
Decorate your vegetable as a person, animal or object. (Did you ever see an eggplant mosquito? A cucumber race car or a squash lion?) Use your imagination, but use only vegetable/fruit matter for all decorations! These vegetables do not have to be grown by the exhibitor.
New Variety- Junior & Adult Division - Premiums: 1st: $10.00 2nd: $5.00 3rd: $3.00
Open to all including Commercial Farmers. Exhibit a “New Variety of Vegetable or Fruit” for the current year following the general rules and specifications for numbers as listed . Include information as to the variety’s attributes, growing conditions, etc. and why this variety is recommended for growing. Judging will be based on quality, originality and educational presentation of the variety. Educational information sheet limited to 8”X11”. Documentation of entry as New Variety for current year in form of clipping from catalog attached to educational sheet required. Commercial Farms may advertise their business on the educational sheet.
Farm and Home Garden Exhibits
Pre-Registration is requested for all Farm & Home Garden Exhibits, Junior farm and Commercial farm exhibits to determine space and size of displays. Pre-Registration will insure that all exhibits have equal space for your displays.
COMMERCIAL FARM EXHIBIT
Premiums: 1st: $50.00 2nd: $35.00 3rd: $25.00
A display of fruits, vegetables and farm products grown and sold at a farm stand. May include farm's labels
SMALL FARM OR HOME GARDEN
Premiums: Adult 1st $35.00 2nd $25.00 3rd $15.00
Junior 1st $25.00 2nd $15.00 3rd $10.00
A display of fruits, vegetables and farm products grown and prepared by exhibitor
GRANGE EXHIBIT - Premiums: 1st: $60.00 2nd: $50.00 3rd: $40.00
A display based on Four Seasons, Farm and Home. See General Instructions for Vegetables and Fruits
Best Of Show - Adult & Junior -Special Award By Judges For An Outstanding Exhibit $10.00
JUDGE’S FAVORITE - Ribbon only - Awarded at the judges whimsy